the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Palmate Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2017... and so it begins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 4:38pm
Checked my small pond last night and found 19 Palmate newts, spring is here.

chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by kevinb kevinb wrote:

Checked my small pond last night and found 19 Palmate newts, spring is here.

I don't think it of Spring until i see the first hedgehog! Certainly wont feel like Spring on my night shift at Dover docks tonight, its like the end of the world out there, nice to see quite a few frogs mooching around in my refilled pond at the moment though
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 8:21pm
19 Palmates wow! Can't help feeling all this activity will be halted by more cold weather, but I guess this happens every year and species survive. 
My small pond does not catch the sun until 14th Feb, so by then it should feel tropical to them, unless they're frozen in.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:32pm
Later than is usual, but things are finally starting to hot up in my Glos garden ponds now. I counted 46 frogs earlier, with a handful of pairings. Plenty more to arrive yet.
Despite checking ponds elsewhere in Glos plus neighbouring counties (Wilts, Heres), over the last few days, these are the first congregations i've seen in my region. No spawn sighted.

This afternoon a friend in Somerset reported frogs were later arriving than in other years too.

What's happening where you are folks?

Cheers
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:05am
Hi Ben

I counted 27 males and no females in the pond last night, but there haven't really been any wet and mild nights since the end of the 'big freeze' which lasted a good few weeks in Hertfordshire.  Am expecting incoming as soon as the weather allows!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:12pm
the odd frog in the pond but no signs of any couplings or spawn here - South East Kent - temperatures are sill only up to about 8-9 during the day, going down to 3-4 at night. Very little in the way of rain - had about an inch of snow a couple of weeks back but no rain since i don't think.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:18am
Thanks guys. Yes, those warm, damp nights are key.

Anything happening in sunny Essex Gemma? Looking forward to hearing how 'your' colony is faring.

How about up north Caleb?
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:17pm
Woke up to a white frost but followed on with a lot of sun, although only a high of 12 deg here in East Devon.
I've been watching one cover for young slow worms and none until today when this one was warming up. It's not as small as the usual early arrivals (last year's young), but is small nonetheless.

The compost heap produced 4 adults. None under the oak tree covers. I think this is where the composters disperse to as there's never any early ones under there.

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 2:23pm
Some beauties there Suzi. Love it.

No slow worms under the old pond liner on top of my compost heap yet, but a first solitary clump of spawn appeared in one of my ponds yesterday. Since, as Will says, a cold snap is likely, i've removed it to a tiny tank on the kitchen window sill for now.
Have spotted a few newts egg-laying as well.
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 9:05pm
Strangely, haven't seen a single frog but nevertheless first two clumps of spawn have appeared. And one large female slowworm seen basking in a sheltered spot in long grass in the garden.
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic