the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Worm young

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow Worm young
    Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:27pm
Saw my first youngster of this season today, under a cover in the garden.
Suz
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 8:56am

well spotted Suzy just a post to say I am still alive as I have been quiet of late

piccy of me black one the other seaso
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 7:43pm
Thanks Keith. I don't post much as I am not allowed to shine a torch at nights now (GCN present) to photograph newts, and I don't want to overdo the slow worm photos and become a bore. I am extremely jealous of your black slow worm. Of all the dozens I've got I've never seen a black one.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

Thanks Keith. I don't post much as I am not allowed to shine a torch at nights now (GCN present) to photograph newts, and I don't want to overdo the slow worm photos and become a bore. I am extremely jealous of your black slow worm. Of all the dozens I've got I've never seen a black one.

You (and pix of beautiful slowies) would never become a bore as far as i'm concerned Suzi! You don't just post pics of slowies anyway - you include observations, comments, shots of the garden, 'daleks', your thoughts etc - keeps us going.

Roughly how many do you think are present in your garden?

I put a few roof slates down in my parents garden around 15 years ago (possibly more, i can't remember) and when i check them i sometimes recognise individuals i recall as younger animals (by their tone, scars etc). Which is always really pleasing!

Here's 2 of the 'Vintage' refugia;

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 11:40am
hi Suzy I must be lucky as I caught a copletely albino one during my teens so have done the hat trick but the years between them I darent mention keith
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

hi Suzy I must be lucky as I caught a complete albino one during my teens so have done the hat trick but the years between them I darent mention keith
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 1:08pm
 You were lucky with the colour range Keith! Passing time...sometimes events seem like they happened only yesterday, sometimes like in another life.
Here's a photo of some new slowies from this morning, plus a waiting female I'm guessing. All under covers in the garden.

Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:04pm
nice finds Suz - and another reptile year draws to a close with these lovely babies, certainly makes me wax philosophical too!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 5:00pm
A little gathering under a cover late afternoon today. We had a lot of rain yesterday and it has been overcast today so stuff has been hanging around, not zipping off at top speed.
A terrestrial palmate newt found in long grass by the shed also - not photographed.

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 7:49pm
Great pic Suzi. I guess the female bottom right prefers her own company!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic