the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Cat War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 8:32pm
Hopefully Richard it will recover, if so it won't be the only one in the garden with battle scars. Unfortunately the one I saw hanging out of the cat's mouth the day before won't have done so well. So the injured one is sort of symbolic to me of what has been happening over the past few years. That's why I found it so upsetting.

There is a positive outcome going to happen. By the time I've installed the fence and hedge cat visits will be few and far between. I also think what I have observed in the past six years has been an education. I would not hesitate for example if a project involved new housing next to a receptor area to impose an outright ban on cats for the new occupants. That is something that is in my power to do. 

I also have a much stronger argument against those that think cats killing wildlife is 'natural'. I can now very easily state that there is nothing at all natural about a domestic pet that exists in population densities 500 times higher than in the wild, receiving veterinary care, food and warmth when required, being at large in a delicate native ecosystem. 
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:50pm
Update on the injured lizard, it was out on the tyres with a couple of its friends just now, so fingers crossed. I'll be keeping an eye on its weight and condition over the next week or so. 

Black cat got a good soaking this morning. I spotted it with the surveillance camera and Mervyn went for the stealth approach, creeping up on it from behind the shed with the water blaster, direct hit LOL
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 11:07am
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

I wonder if my remote control water blaster could deliver something really not very nice but obviously not harmful? 

Male human urine is said to deter cats. Normally applied to the ground rather than directly onto the cat, though.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Caleb Caleb wrote:

Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

I wonder if my remote control water blaster could deliver something really not very nice but obviously not harmful? 

Male human urine is said to deter cats. Normally applied to the ground rather than directly onto the cat, though.

It's supposed to be a good accelerator for compost heaps too, I'll send Merv up to the end of the garden.... perhaps after dark LOL
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 8:12am
...best make sure the Trap Cam is switched off, too..Wink
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 12:12pm
Lol Will and the ScareCrow now! 

Found our water pressure problem with the outside hose was that a stopcock wasn't fully turned back on by a plumber who came to fix a toilet cistern a few years back. 

Now we've got water pressure back for the garden hose I've invested in a Contech ScareCrow. Just set it up and I'm impressed. I think with two we could cover the entire 'Front Line'. Smile

Only slight downside is it's only got a battery operated option, but I think I'll look into putting in my own 9V DC supply from the shed. That way we can have a switch in the shed to disarm it when needed and won't need to worry about batteries.

peterh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 12:23pm

Hi Gemma,

i sympathise with your plight, a tricky one indeed,
however there is full proof salution.. it just depends how much you like rottweilers!Wink
beauty hides in all things, different eyes see it in different ways.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 1:58pm
Back from a trip to Chelmsford then London this morning, nice to see the young lizards out and not being harassed by the neighbour's cat when I got back. 

The Contech Scarecrow is proving the best deterrent I've tried. I haven't seen a cat in the garden since it was installed. Only slight problem was the hozelock plastic fittings we had for the hosepipe were not really up to to job, leaking and then one popping off and flooding the garden over night. They are now replaced with Draper 1/2 inch brass connectors All has been well so far and we've been able to go out leaving the water pressure on with no problems at all. So in addition to the actual device, we had to buy the brass connectors and a two way tap extension for the outdoor tap, quite a bit of money to spend but it does seem worth it. As other sprinkler units can be daisy-chained to the first, it really is a good system.

Mentioning dogs, I do like rottweilers Peter, but will probably go for a labrador. We've had several rescue dogs down the years including a rottweiler cross in the past. this time though I'm going for a puppy. Want it well trained from the start to respond to the command 'cat' Evil Smile

Edited by GemmaJF - 23 Apr 2014 at 2:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic