the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 6:37am
nice one Ben - they're always ahead of the curve in Cornwall!
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 6:05pm
Yes, they are Will - especially down on The Lizard peninsula i hear.

Frog spawn found just north of Tiverton was posted on ISPOT last week too.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:45pm
Well done Ben! reminds me to go and beg some spawn from my neighbour if he has any.
Very mild this evening 10degC. A frog dived into my smaller pond early evening and just before 11pm I went for another look and saw about ten newts in the large pond. Four or so were in the shallow canal round the pond edge - first time this winter. These two were nearest to photograph.

Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 6:28am
...looks like a bit of Lissotritonian hanky-panky there Suz! first Ben's frogs and now the newts. Won't be long before we get some action in the southeast, perhaps.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 9:51am
Originally posted by will will wrote:

Won't be long before we get some action in the southeast, perhaps.

very, very noisy pond last night, must have been a huge number of frogs in there calling and splashing about, very surprised to not see any spawn this morning but have a feeling it won't be long - near Dover so pretty much as South-East as you can get...

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 11:24pm
Great palmate breeding behaviour shot Suz1 and good to hear the local updates folks.
A bit slow here too; mostly just male frogs waiting patiently but i was greeted by this by the back door last night:

And tonight a very red-bellied female getting some attention:

Elsewhere i came across this red spawn which, owing to the cool climate, i think probably isn't caused by an algal bloom but maybe iron oxide??

It seemed ok though and had reached 'comma' stage.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:53pm
I went round to my neighbour today to beg some spawn, but he hadn't got any! I hope some arrives soon. I must check the dates of when I've had some before.
Nice pix Ben.
Suz
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 7:06am
Liz is that a rare four eyed frog
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 8:40pm

It's got a handy extra pair of evil gripping 'stomach arms' too Keith!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 6:17am
Will surely win the prize for the 'Worst Photo' but there is a point to it - no frogs for the last few nights as it was chilly, started to rain last night and the pond is starting to fill up nicely with little dots of light!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 186187188189190 195>
  Share Topic