the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAUK's a Herp a day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 195>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 12:21am

Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 12:23am
Well done Gemma with the list! Soon we will be saying goodbye to our reptiles. Hopefully another four weeks at least to go.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 10:34am
Will be interesting to see how we do with reptiles over the next month or so. It would be nice if we have an Indian Summer. Though after the best spring and summer I can remember for a very long time, I suppose it is being a bit greedy to wish for it!

Anyone else notice an increase in song birds this year? Been hearing about reasons for declines for many years. Interesting that we get a good summer with plenty of berries about and numbers seem to be magically on the increase, presumably because of increased survival of the young and less stress on the parents.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 10:53am
yes Gemma, more songbirds but also especially dragonflies, which for the first time ever I have seen in swarms recently, rather than just the odd one. Also a bumper year for common lizards in good sites - I counted to 100 at Rainham Marshes last weekend, and although they were mostly this year's young, they were already half grown. Do you remember a few years ago we were concerned about a lack of common lizards - even in core habitats? I remember Howard Inns commenting about this, for example, in British Wildlife magazine. This now seems to be (thankfully) a premature concern (though of course they continue to be lost through development etc).
kaleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 7:11pm
went to festival gardens today and saw my first baby newtsSmile!!! but i forgot my camera and couldnt get a pictureUnhappy
next time ill remember.
kaleb
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:39pm
These photos taken just before 5.30pm.
The newt larva was in part of the pond's canal that is almost dry (the preform settled slightly skewed when the pond was initially filled, so the canals round the edge don't all contain the same depth of water). If it was a frog tadpole it might have been doomed but because it had little legs it was able to scuttle into deeper water. Good job the blackbirds are away moulting or it would likely have been pecked up.

Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:49pm
Shame about the Chicory Suz and a further pity that, looking at The List, we 'blanked' a couple more days. Ah well, spilt milk and all that...

Here's another Slowie:

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 9:41pm
Yes Ben I feel a bit guilty about a blank night recently as I'd taken all my photos and then forgot to upload them! How like a twig your slow worm looks!
Suz
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 11:37pm
An 11.30pm frog...

Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 9:53am
I've noticed this years young in the garden are well grown on Will. My neighbour handed me back one of the garden lizards yesterday (which their dog had found!) and it was distinctly plump. I remember seeing the same lizard barrel sized ages ago. Did make me wonder if she had a second brood. Not sure if this has been recorded in viviparous lizards in the UK? The lizard was fine after the dog encounter, left her to warm up on a tyre and she made her way off apparently none the worse for the experience. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 195>
  Share Topic