the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marsh Frog Identification & Sightings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysrkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 9:49am

Mick

Marsh frog are still calling at the moment at Heathrow but are starting to calm down now, although the recent rain has brought on a new bout of activity today.  There are various sites which we own and manage which support marsh frog but the majority are closed access.  However there is one site in particular where they are common and which is open to the public.  The site is called Two Bridges Farm Conservation Site and is located off Hatton Rd where the road crosses the twin rivers.  On site there is a well established old farm pond which has good numbers of MF.  Also this is an excellent site for common toad in the spring.  Happy hunting!

Rhys
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 7:14pm
Thanks rhysrkid, i'll maybe check that accessible site out when i next - hopefully soon - nip down to Heathrow. I presume that would be about the closest site to me here in Banbury, north oxfordshire? Anyway, i look forward to that.
Martingr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martingr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 2:58am
I have just picked up on this site. It follows our finding of Marsh Frogs at a couple of ponds near us. We found them last year and again this year. During the past year the frogs seem to have moved  about  1km to take up residence in the new site which is about 50 m from our house. We think this is a genuine new record for this nearby pond because we watch this pond closely and would have heard the frogs in previous years if they had been present. We are in south Worcestershire close to the border with Gloucestershire. My questions are:
1. How rapidly do marsh frogs spread? Would a 1km jump between ponds in a year be typical?
2. Is there a current UK distrubution map for this species? the forum articles mention sites in south east England and Yorkshire but are there any other records for the West Midlands?
Martingr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martingr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 6:13am
Many thanks for the distribution information. We are in SP03 and a look at the map showing a single 10km square conatining Marsh Frogs in the west Midlands seems to show a site that is north and possibly east of us.
Martingr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martingr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 4:52pm
I have tracked down the Worcestershire marsh frog record to a site about 30 km north west of our location in SP03 . So  what is the status of my new record? How do I get it into an official data base?
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2006 at 10:25am
Marsh? frogs heard calling in Somerset south of the Mendips just west of Glastonbury. Large numbers heard calling and heads seen bobbing up on 31st May this year. Are there any other records of marsh/edible frogs in this general area? (none show up on NBN)

Matt
Local Authority Ecologist
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2006 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by rhysrkid rhysrkid wrote:

Mick

Marsh frog are still calling at the moment at Heathrow but are starting to calm down now, although the recent rain has brought on a new bout of activity today.  There are various sites which we own and manage which support marsh frog but the majority are closed access.  However there is one site in particular where they are common and which is open to the public.  The site is called Two Bridges Farm Conservation Site and is located off Hatton Rd where the road crosses the twin rivers.  On site there is a well established old farm pond which has good numbers of MF.  Also this is an excellent site for common toad in the spring.  Happy hunting!

visited that pond today, as its local to me.
sad to say it was completely dried up with no signs of life at all.
previously visited it in may, when MF's and newts were present in good numbers.
same goes for a large pond in uxbribge which has a good population of CF's, toads and GCN's - when i was there last week it was also as dry as a bone.

Edited by lalchitri
Peter Sutton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Sutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 8:33am

I have just returned from a trip to the Somerset Levels where I caught up with the 'Green' frogs at Shapwick Heath NNR. I found them there in 2003 during an entomological survey. There is a large population in the two ponds immediately to the right of the entrance through the trees and bushes, and a correspondingly good population of grass snakes. They looked like Edible Frogs at first sight, with dorsal stripes etc, but the 'heel' of the hind leg easily extended beyond the tip of the nose, so I am assuming that they are all Marsh Frogs. (Also dark eardrum).

When were these populations first discovered? They are not in the BRC Atlas or the NBN Gateway maps.

Peter Sutton

chas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2006 at 12:29pm

Re. query (Peter Sutton).

Whilst researching the pool frog, in case any were still left somewhere in the wild, I was sent a reference to "edible frogs" in or near the levels in Somerset dating back to the early 1900s (about 1925 as I vaguely recall).  I also seem to recall it was from a publication on wildlife local to the area.  I have unsuccessfully tried to search for his reference but will come back as soon as I have anything more concrete.  The author did leave the sense that the frogs had been there some while.  Whether they could possibly be the originators of the current population is an interesting speculation.

Charles Snell
Peter Sutton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Sutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2006 at 12:26pm

Thanks Chas, I have studied the Somerset Levels for some time now and accumulated a great deal of literature, but have not come across any reference to the Green Frog tribe. Bernard Storer wrote a Natural History of the Somerset Levels which is described as "one of the most important twentieth century books on English natural History" and does not mention Green Frogs. (That said, he claims that Natterjack Toads were present on Sedgemoor which I find highly dubious! .....could it be that someone had heard the Green Frogs' quacking call and misidentified it?!) I look forward to receiving any further details that you might find. Best regards

Peter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic