the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scotlands and Reptiles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scotlands and Reptiles
    Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 7:41pm
Just a thought came to me and I started wondering why we dont hear of adders and lizards from over the border , or have they all been cleared out for the health and safety of the grouse shooting brigade???keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 9:38pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 10:46pm
There are adders Keith but I guess there are less people reporting them than us southern Englanders on this forum. I think grass snakes are pretty thin on the ground but slow worms and lizards are present. My family have seen adders on the west coast of Scotland and friends on Arran confirm they have them. 
Suz
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 7:06am
Hi Suzy and Richards yes ,but its a pity we dont get more reports from there as there is loads of heather and bracken habitat, I did see a few lizards some years ago on a fishing holiday in Galloway,and I always did believe Scotland had a healthy adder population that I think they used to show in my comics of old within stories of Rob Roy or Black Bob?
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 7:58pm
Chris Cathrine and myself have developed a Scottish grass snake survey after his research revealed some interesting observations and data into grass snakes after seeing a grass snake in a newt pond in Scotland. Www.scottishgrasssnakes.org 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic