the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall lizards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvbweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall lizards
    Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:10pm
I am a wildlife management student currently working on my dissertation which is about wall lizards and their impact on native species. I am also interested in whether wall lizards are increasing their range in the UK by natural means (not deliberate introductions). Does nayone have any information which would be useful or could you point me in the direction of any current literature.
Thanks
Dan   
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:07pm
Hi Dan,

The best person to get in contact with is 'Vicar' on the forum (Steve Langham Surrey ARG).

Not seen him much on here for while which is a great shame.

More info of his involvement with wall lizards here:

You'll find Steve's email on the Surrey ARG website.

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2012 at 4:02pm
Dan,
there is a lot on this forum about them but it is a case of digging it out. I've seen them on Portland but they were very local to one small area and other seemingly good habitat was devoid of them. not to say they weren't there but I think from what I've read they are not great spreaders. Others will confirm or deny.
Suz
KimLeaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KimLeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:25pm
I have been watching a colony of Wall Lizards in Somerset for the last thirty years, in that period they have mainly stayed within a couple of acres utilising brick and stone Walls.
However three years ago I found a few on a stone built garden wall about quarter of a mile away across two fields of unpromising habitat.
30 years to move this distance is a spread of sorts but a very slow one.
Hope this is of some use.
Kim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic