the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Mythical Beast!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamanteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mythical Beast!
    Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 12:42pm

It's been 35+ years since I saw an Adder in the wild.  In another thread I mentioned that I'd spent an entire weekend fruitlessly searching on Anglesey.  I was convinced that the Adder was a Mythical Beast....but today, thanks to Dave Fixx, I saw one!

Dave and the North Wales Recorder, Mick, were kind enough to give me a few hours of their time and show me around an Adder site in Wales.  The weather was far from perfect, high winds and not very warm at all.  But we got lucky.  We saw 1 female Vipera berus (gravid), 5 female Zootica vivipara and 4 Bufo bufo.

It may not sound much to some of you guys, but after all these years, I'm thrilled to bits!

I'm afraid the Adder photo is total rubbish, as I only had a brief moment to take one shot before she moved off into the undergrowth.... but I'm posting it anyway!  I think not only is she full of babies, I reckon there's a decent meal in there too!

So, my thanks to Dave and Mick.  I hope to meet you both again soon.

James.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 1:34pm
 Now you have seen one there will be plenty more
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 2:33pm

A brilliant day for you I imagine! The fact it wasn't scorchio probably worked in your favour as the reptiles were still lying out.

As Gemma says now you've seen one you'll see more. You'll have got your eye in!

Suz
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 3:34pm
glad you had a good day James ,it was our pleasure ,sure we will do it again soon.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
adamanteus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamanteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 4:03pm

Thanks again Dave.... shame the Adder photo turned out so bad.  I looked okay on the camera.

Guess I'll have to have another go!

James.
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 6:12pm

well done james...it's a great feeling isn't it.

and what a great advert for the forum that there are so many people on here willing to go out of their way to help each other out.

tim

adamanteus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamanteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 6:30pm

Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

what a great advert for the forum that there are so many people on here willing to go out of their way to help each other out.

Indeed.  I've been made to feel very welcome here.  Thanks.

@Dave Fixx.... you asked for this...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/showgallery.php?cat=539 &ppuser=

James.
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 12:23pm

Thanks for the link James.

@Tim ,this adder was only 10 mins drive from the slow worm site on the hill.

Dave Williams
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 6:32pm

very interesting. perhaps we should have our own little north western rauk field trip.

tim

dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 5:17am
funny enough thats what we were talking about .
Dave Williams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic