the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Forest help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Forest help
    Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 4:46pm

I am holidaying in the New Forest the first week in August and was wondering if any one could recommend any good herp sites, especially Smooth or Grass Snakes, I realise sites are not to be braodcast to everyone. I am a keen photographer and have recently been involved with the make Adders count survey organised by Chris Monk in Derbyshire. I currently have a Licence from English Nature to photograph GCN, so hopefully this shows my integrity when it comes to both site security and the subjects welfare. I have holidayed in the New Forest a number of times, I love it as an area, but I am developing more of an interest in herps, especially since my frequent trips to Derbyshire to count and photograph the Adders, but don't really know the area well enough to know the best sites. I am staying around Lyndhurst but know the Bealieu heath area fairly well. If anyone in the area, photographer or not fancied meeting up for a couple of hours (I'm sure I can pursuade the misses to spend a few hours shopping), or if anyone could suggest locations it would be really appreciated. If for site integrity reasons you would rather contact me off forum that would be fine. I don't mind travelling further a field for a good site.

Graham

ps I did see one Adder on my last visit in the Shirley Holmes area, but that was a glancing view, and a Grass snake around Hatchet pond 3 years ago (didn't have my camera with me, typical photographer!)

www.grahamella.co.uk

Graham Ella
www.grahamella.co.uk
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 5:30pm

Hi Graham

Lovely photographs on your website - HCT are looking for photos for their NARRS website - would you like to donate some for their new project - www.narrs.org.uk?

I would be able to meet up with you to take you to some sites in the New Forest where hopefully we can find some smooth snakes etc - I have a license to photograph them so please pm if your are interested

Jon 

grezza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 6:15pm

Hi Jon

Thanks so much for the offer, I'll definitely take you up on it. I tried to send you a PM but it said you're limit had been exceeded? or something like that. Could you e-mail me on info(at)grahamella.co.uk and we can discuss further.

Graham

Graham Ella
www.grahamella.co.uk
Kinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2007 at 12:20pm

I cannot believe what I am reading from Graham Ella - remember some of us know the truth....count adders what a load of bul.s.it

Edited by Kinder
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 4:23am
HI KINDER WHAT IS THE  GRAHAM ELLA TRUTH ?? / GIVE US A CLUE REGARDS KEITH
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
grezza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 6:52am
Hi Folks
I'm a bit confused myself, I haven't logged on for a while but always have a
read of the threads. I don't know what 'Kinder' is referring too, sounds as
though it's supposed to be funny, because of the winky smiley... but have to
say it does make me sound a bit sinister 'know the truth'. So whoever this
new member is 'Kinder' maybe they can enlighten us all. It seems very
strange to add to a post that I made in July 2006???? As for me 'counting'
Adders a quick phone call or e-mail to Chris Monk will verify that I have
submitted all my findings to him for the last 2 years while I've been involved
in the 'Make Adders count' scheme.
Happy Christmas to all (a bit late) and have a great New Year.
Graham
Graham Ella
www.grahamella.co.uk
grezza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2007 at 7:39am
Oh I realise who 'Kinder' is, it's Geoff Simpson. How's it going Geoff long
time no see. Are you still over here or in Portugal? Hope you're well. Still not
sure what you're referring too, what is 'the truth....' but at least i know who
posted the comment.
Graham
Graham Ella
www.grahamella.co.uk
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2007 at 5:51pm

At this time of seasonal goodwill we shouldn't be throwing mud (ie unsubstantiated rumors) around amongst ourselves - leave that to the politicians and Z list celebrities!.

Graham has indeed been helping me with the HCT's Make the Adder Count springtime emergence survey these last two years after coming on a training day in 2006. He and several other volunteers have been visiting various hibernation sites across the Peak District as John Newton & I can't cover everywhere ourselves to ensure we get true maximum numbers across the season. If you want to know more come to the Herp Workers Meeting, where you will see a list of all those who have helped with the surveys and with information - a list that includes both Graham and also Geoff! Any more on this topic shouldn't be under the Smooth Snake forum anyway.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007 at 5:34am

Looking forward to the talk on the project there Chris, not sure what kinder was on about probably best to ignore really

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
grezza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2007 at 5:59am
Thanks Chris for posting. I'm sure the original post by Geoff Simpson
'Kinder' was intended to be humourous but for peolpe that don't know me,
it did make me sound a little 'sinnister'. Yes, I am into my photography BUT
there were times last year that I just went out, without a camera to monitor
the Adders, because i could cover more ground and hopefully find more (23
was the most) . I am new to it, and Chris has tought me a lot, so didn't want
anything to jeapordise my chances of carrying on next year.
Thanks for stepping in and closing off this thread.
Hope you all have a great New Year, and hopefully I'll find the first Adder of
2008, oh, and photograph it   
Graham
Graham Ella
www.grahamella.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic