the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smooth Snake/ sand Lizard Photography

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smooth Snake/ sand Lizard Photography
    Posted: 03 May 2003 at 8:16pm

Heeello,

While out walking today I was told that sand lizards could be found near where I was . I do not know if this is true untill I get a chance to take a look for myself, I always take chit chat like this with a pinch of salt untill proven.

Anyhow, this got me thinking . Does anyone here know how/where I can apply for a permit to photograph smooth snakes and sand lizards? I will also be making my usual trip to Dorset in June and would love to get some snaps of Smooth snakes should the oppertunity arise.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2003 at 8:40pm

Thanks Tony.

Are Smooth snakes like berus in that , if you find one , you normaly find more around that same area ?

Cheers,

Alan

-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2003 at 6:23pm
Hi Tony, I have a bit of a question for you. I am currently on an MSc course in Biological Photography and Imaging at the university of Nottingham. For my masters project I am hoping to produce a photographic field guide to the UK Reptiles. Within this I need to get photographs of many colour variations of species as well as detailed close up shots of scalation. As a result I have the same problem as Alan. I have been in touch with the HCT and should be able to get my sand lizard shots (all 3 races) in captivity, however I know of no captive UK smooth snakes. As a result I will need to get licensing. I have the relevent english nature application forms but, with the smooth snake being listed as a european protected species, it seems I cannot get licensing specifically for photographic purposes. Whether I could get licencing for educational purposes I am not sure. Do you have any advice on how I could go about getting the smooth snake shots that I need? As I mentioned, I would ideally need a few colour variations and some close up scalation shots and so in situ shots, especially close ups, are probably ruled out. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2003 at 11:19pm

Hi Tony, thank you for the offer! If that's possible it would be great. I will be shooting over June and July. Any time during these months would be fantasic - and I can be very flexible as to specific dates. I've got a reference from my course supervisor (Brian Case - heard of him?) underway. Site confidentiality is a given.

Let me know if this would be convenient.

Many thanks, Lee.

Lee Fairclough
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2003 at 2:36am
Yeah, Russell's still here, will give your regards. Cheers Tony, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic